19 November 2009

She was right...

Back in 2003 I was visiting my sister.  She was living in her old house in Durham and we stayed up late chatting one night.

My niece (she would have been 10 almost 11)  had gone up to get ready for bed and came back down to listen to the talk...not that she would participate because she is Silent One, but she is awesome so I persistently try to get her to speak.  But that is another story.  Anyway, she was laying on the couch with her head in my sister's lap and my sister was playing with her hair.

After a time she started to fall asleep.  And my sister smiled and I asked why, what was funny?  She smiled and said, "There's no feeling in the world like watching your child fall asleep.  No matter how old they get, there's no feeling like it in the world."

Six years later I can say that I categorically agree with her.


There's no feeling like it in the world. 

He's all soft and warm.  His eyes start to roll back in his head but at first he tries to fight it, tries to focus on my face.  His fingers flex on my arm or hand.  And then it happens.  He stops fighting.  His heavy eyelids close.  He sighs deeply and his fingers relax.  He's heavy when he's inert.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Bird said...

That's so sweet.

It made me think about the last time time I saw Fussbot fall asleep and I can't remember. Rarely does he fall asleep in the car/stroller and when I put him to bed he's awake. I would love to see that moment when he finally curls up and snuggles in for the night.

 
At November 19, 2009 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous Rae said...

I love the feel of Stinky falling asleep- the weight, the warmth, and how close he snuggles in. Yeah, nothing like that.

 
At November 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

Sigh. Isn't life grand?

 
At November 20, 2009 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Erin P said...

It is amazing...and you are a poet. I love reading your words.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home