04 December 2008

The Curse of the Baby Monitor

Well.

Whether it's because he's been sick or because we've been out of town and his routine is all kinds of messed up, the Boy has been a serious pill lately. And whoever invented Baby Monitors HATES parents.

Especially parents who live in small apartments.

We moved the Boy into his crib (and thus, out of our bedroom) when we got home from Savannah. So, once we walked through the door, my priority was feeding, bathing and getting the Boy ready for Bed--the Husband's priority was figuring out the baby monitors.

He gets it hooked up and they work great, we can hear everything from the space heater to the modem whirring oh, and also the Boy. The problem is that they work...a little too well.

I put him down to bed early last night since he hadn't napped well that day and he slept for about 40 minutes and then he woke up protesting. And he PROTESTED volubly for an hour. When I put him down I turn on the monitor in his room and in our bedroom because you can hear him everywhere else in the apartment. But the downside is that with the monitors on it's Boy Screaming in High Definition Surround Sound.

We have a very small apartment. Maybe too small.

So I listened to this for an hour. I rocked and cuddled and sang and he was determined to be displeased with every thing so I eventually put him to bed and said, "See you around 2am, Dude." And he cried for 15 more minutes and fell asleep (he actually slept until 3am, but I deserved that extra hour since he had taken years off of my life with the SCREAMING).

I seriously contemplated chucking the monitors out of the window.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At December 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM , Anonymous Jeff VanD. said...

Ummm... of switch? It is a small apartment after all! I agree though, those things are a little too good. We used it with Joseph, and a little with Bekah... after that we just listened... I mean really... we're going to hear them!

Good luck with your ongoing battle. :)

 
At December 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM , Anonymous the MuLLinS said...

I wouldn't use them! Are you kidding? If you can already hear him without the monitors, no need to have them- in my, unexperienced, probably tooo laid back for my own good opinion. They drive me nuts too. We have one ONLY for when we are downstairs with the music on or a movie or something where we wouldn't hear him otherwise. Again, to each his own.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 1:50 PM , Anonymous Emily said...

When we switched to moniters with Tyler, Brad would turn it up loud enough so he could hear him breath. Yeah- I understand the whole surround sound thing. I would be woken up so quickly that I would get a headache and my heart would be pounding. We eventually just turned them off. We discovered quickly that we could hear him just fine. I don't think we've used them since. Atleast in our own apartment.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM , Anonymous Karen said...

Do it! Chuck them out the window as far as you can throw. We also had the monitor thing going when we moved Eli out of our room. Every little squeak and roll over I would wake up. When we moved here, we opted not to take the monitors with us. THE BEST DECISION EVER!! It's a small apartment, if he needs something, trust me, he'll let you know.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

I'm one that needs the monitor because we're in a two-story townhouse... so if I'm in another area of the house, I can't hear Alice. HOWEVER - my beef with the monitor is that it works too well at NIGHT. When I'm right next to the receiver. When my Mother Hearing is already in high gear to jump to Alice's rescue if she's being kidnapped by aliens. I was so sensitive to every whimper, whistle, sigh, burp, and TOOT that we finally put the receiver on the other side of the room, far away from yours truly. Now I only wake with the RED ALERT crying that actually needs my attention.

Good luck, super stereo surround sound lady.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home