11 November 2008

Awesome; NOT Awesome

So, Whimsy started doing this thing where she breaks down situations into Awesome and NOT Awesome, and it's been a sufficiently awful day for me to openly STEAL the idea from her. Sorry, babe. If you had drawn your child's blood today, you'd be stealing ideas from other people too.

Awesome: Getting 9 of the Boy's RAZOR sharp claws cut while he was sleepily eating this morning.
NOT Awesome: Cutting a chunk out of his thumb on the last cut, drawing blood and a horrendous SHRIEK of pain from him and spending 30 minutes soothing him and apologizing over and over and over again.

Awesome: The Boy totally forgot about the thumb cutting incident and forgave his slatternly Mother for her ineptitude after those 30 minutes of soothing and yet more MILK!
NOT Awesome: The HORRIFIC guilt I felt ALL. DAY. LONG.

Awesome: Getting the Boy to nap for 2 hours this afternoon.
NOT Awesome: He napped in MY bed. On top of ME. My nap for the day? Um. Not so much.

Awesome: Our neighbor brought us leftover sandwiches from his workplace for dinner tonight!
Not Awesome: My dirty dishes from lunch are still sitting in the kitchen sink.

Awesome: Finished my book! Never mind that I had read it several times before (Northanger Abbey for those curious), I still finished it!
Not Awesome: Not knowing what to read next.

Awesome: The Husband is almost done with school for the semester!
NOT Awesome: Oh, we still have to slog through 3 more weeks of classes and FINALS and lo, he is DONE.

Awesome: The Boy has a doctor's appointment this Friday and I have a LIST! A loooong list of questions (along the lines of, "He does ____, is that NORMAL?") for the doctor!
NOT Awesome: He also has to get shots.

Awesome: The Husband is setting up a lovely picnic for us in the living room.
NOT Awesome: um...

um...

Ok. I can't think of anything that's NOT Awesome about that.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM , Anonymous Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

"Awesome: The Husband is setting up a lovely picnic for us in the living room.
NOT Awesome: um...

"um...

"Ok. I can't think of anything that's NOT Awesome about that."

I agree. There is nothing NOT awesome about that.

Hooray for wonderful husbands.

 
At November 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

Awesome: You.
Not Awesome: You being so far away.

Man I love you and all residents of Burnstopia. And don't worry, chopping off part of your kids finger is a rite of passage into true Mommydom. Oh, and believe it or not, I think doctors like parents that ask questions. What better way to let them know that you care about your child? And they'd rather answer 10 questions in one visit than talk to you every few days for a few weeks. Don't you think? Hmm. I am finishing up Jane Eyre (love it!) and then my book club is reading Little Women, which I haven't read since elementary school for crying out loud!

 
At November 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

Oh, have you read Iodine by Haven Kimmel yet? It's a bit disturbing, definitely not for the faint-hearted. If you haven't read it yet don't read any reviews first. Just read it and be surprised at the end.

 
At November 11, 2008 at 11:39 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Isn't it just the best game EVER? And I agree with Sarah - there's nothing NOT awesome about a picnic-setting husband.

In advance, I'm so sorry about the claws, the blood, and the coming shots. YRCHHHH.

 
At November 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Jeff said...

I agree with some of the comments above... it is all part of becoming a parent. I remember how bad I felt the first time I chopped some of Joseph's finger off... but by the time I got to Spencer I didn't even feel bad about taking off a whole finger...

...

okay... that didn't happen... but congrats on one more things you have now done that you don't have to look forward to! :)

 
At November 14, 2008 at 12:08 AM , Anonymous Stew said...

oh, you'll be surprised. The boy getting shots is actually kind of nice. He'll probably sleep all day after that!

And if I may make a suggestion on the next book to read:

'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Husseini

or

'Bliss' by OZ Levaneli

 
At November 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM , Anonymous Kristin said...

Awesome: Receiving an email and phone call from you and the boy with wishes of luck for the GRE. THANKS!! Oh, and it went well. I surprise even myself sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home