23 July 2010

The Ground Beneath Her Feet

You may not have read it, the Ground Beneath Her Feet, by Salman Rushdie.  It's a lovely book.  A retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Euridice.  It's one of the few books that I read it, I finished it, and then I immediately started it over again it was that good.

Anyway, I digress, I mostly just wanted to steal the title for today.  See...a long time ago...in a far away place someone advised me to find somewhere where the ground felt like goodness under my feet and put down roots THERE.  I've been a lot of places, out west, up north, overseas and places in between and I think I've found that place.  We're trying to worm our way into the root system over in the Appalachian mountains of North Carolina, but we've had no luck to speak of yet.  But still, we have hope.

In the meantime, we have vacations.

It's been such a year of monumental suckitude that Chris begged for a full week of mountain respite.  So on the 3rd of this month we headed North.  We drove up separately so as to leave his car at my parent's house and have it taken care for the forthcoming move.  We spent the 4th with my folks and on the 5th we packed up Boy and Cats and headed WEST.

Chris' family keeps a camper over in the mountains and they graciously let us stay there for the week.  We were all HAPPY.  We picked up some groceries and spent the evening lounging and talking about what we wanted to do with the week.

Tuesday was errand day.  And thus, very boring.  We went to the farmer's market and bought yummy yum yum veggies--tomatoes and cukes for sandwiches, gorgeous corn and a half bushel of peaches.  We stopped off at a yarn store so that I could pick up some cable needles and some sock yarn.  And yes, I am gettin' a bit ambitious with the needles.  Wanna make somethin' of it?

We headed back to the camper to talk about the next day...Chimney Rock DAY!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Brett M said...

yep, I'm way behind on reading your blog. Sorry. But still... what are cukes?

 
At August 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Celeste said...

2 months out of the year, that place for me would be western washington. I bet you could guess which two months those are :) the rest of the year .... hmmm... I don't know ... maybe my living room floor? it's a good thing to think on, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home