05 August 2009

Boy Sightings

No one who knows me will be surprised when I say that our days are very routine. To an extent they're also very scheduled, there are certain times of day that we do certain things, but for the most part our days are simply routine.

I have certain chores that I do in certain order first thing in the morning. And because they're chores that are almost certainly germy and dirty and nasty I don't want the Boy to partake. Hence, we have obtained a baby-gate and I simply gate him in his room with all of his books and toys and blankets. He plays quite well by himself for an hour, sometimes an hour and half in the morning.

Of course, his room is completely trashed by the time that we eat breakfast, but not having him underfoot while I'm cleaning out the catbox, is worth it.

Anyway, while I'm moving about the apartment and engaged in these various chores, I find myself occasionally creeping up to his door and peeping in on him in there. Most mornings I can hear him in there, banging toys around, throwing balls, chattering to his Monte bear. But when things get quiet, I get curious.

Inevitably, as breakfast time nears, this is what I find as I creep up to his door:

Aside from my adorable child, please note--the blanket that he's sitting on is normally kept folded up in the bottom drawer of his dresser which means he goes looking for it in the morning. Those books live on the bookshelf in front of him, neatly arranged by author and size.

I love this picture. I love creeping up on him when he's quiet and seeing this. I love that given his toys, balls, blocks and Tonkas, he wants to read. He pulls down book after book and turns the pages over. He goes looking for a finds his favorites. I love this kid.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At August 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Isn't it amazing when you get little glimpses of the fact that your kid, the little interloper who has attached himself to you 24/7--- actually has this whole internal world of likes and dislikes and "hmmmm I'd like to go grab that blanket that I like so much" to which you are unaware?

It's this little bitty fact that would seem so obvious if it didn't sneak up and grab us at so many unexpected moments.

What a sweet photo.

 
At August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM , Anonymous the MuLLinS said...

I am also amazed at the whole "internal world" that kiddos are a part of, aside from MY world which seems to revolve around HIM and HIM only. There is nothing I love more than watching him when he doesn't know I'm there. I love watching what he chooses to do, what he chooses to play with, how silly he acts, the voices he uses to read to himself. It's amazing and beautiful to watch him develop like this! Like I said, I'm even MORE curious now that he's in a big boy bed and NEVER BEFORE IN MY LIFE have I ever wanted a video monitor so bad in my LIFE! But I guess I'll let him have his independence, and allow him to explore his world without Mama looking on, all the time. Ah, Motherhood.

 
At August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Those are some of my favorite moments, as well. There's something about finding them sitting quietlly doing what we enjoy doing.

 
At August 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Bird said...

That is a great photo. I also like the quiet moments where you peek in on them and laugh because whoa, how did that happen. They've managed some new feat that took some ingenuity and clearly had a good time with it.

 
At August 6, 2009 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous Tori said...

I crack up when my baby girl is being "sneaky" and she doesn't know I'm watching her, and when she realizes I'm there she tries to pretend she wasn't opening the bathroom cabinet under the sink and pulling out the extra toothpaste.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home