22 July 2009

The Solace of Leaving Early

Do you ever feel like you're home? Because I never have that feeling, which led me to wonder about place, the pull of a particular geography or lifestyle, do you know what I mean? There must be a million people, maybe a few million people right this minute, living in cities, or in those wretched suburbs, who dream of a place like this, these streets and alleys, the way we wander around so freely and know each other and can get from place to place without a car. And the country fair--the parade--all that, the fresh produce and honey all summer. They think they would love to live in this town.

And? But?

But. But you can't ever live in the place you dream about, the town you long for. You can't go there, and I don't mean like Thomas Wolfe or whatever, I mean the moment you become conscious of your desire, and then fulfill it, it evaporates.

  • Haven Kimmel

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM , Anonymous Kristin said...

I agree. The grass seems always greener on the other side, but when we actually make it to the other side it is just a brown as where we stood previously. The concept of home to me is a state of mind.

I do think this would be my idea of an utopia---but then again, is it just as brown as the wretched suburbs--I don't know, but it sounds beautiful.

"the way we wander around so freely and know each other and can get from place to place without a car. And the country fair--the parade--all that, the fresh produce and honey all summer."

 
At July 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM , Anonymous Sibley Saga .... said...

As for me- I tend to feel more at 'home' with people than with a place. I've seen lots of 'places' in my lifetime so far.

As for that grass is greener thing, I agree with Robert Fulgham when he says that it's greenest where you water it.

.....but sometimes my so called watering/sprinkler system is busted. wink, wink.

 
At July 24, 2009 at 12:30 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

I brought this book with me this week for this quote. I thought it would help me through all of this, trying to understand exactly what HOME is in the first place.

Lurve.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home