06 January 2009

A Disclaimer

As The Wife mentioned, I will take over the blog for the next few days to document the exploits of my trip to Beantown. At least that is my intention. If the desire to write on the blog goes the way of most of my other intentions, The Wife will be back in a few days with our regularly scheduled program.

What's that you ask? Why is this post entitled "A Disclaimer"? Why aren't I packing and getting ready (i.e. figuring out a good answer for "So, tell us about yourself.") since the flight leaves in a little over 12 hours? Because I thought you, the reader of this blog, would like a disclaimer about the posts you may or may not read in the upcoming days. I feel that I should warn you how I, The Husband, tell stories. In fact, The Wife even doodled a drawing about how I tell stories. Which I then took the doodle, created in Word, tried to save in a format that would transfer to the blog, which it wouldn't, then re-created the doodle in PowerPoint, saved it in a format that would transfer, and now I am posting that doodle for the world to see. I know that pictures are worth a thousand words, but I'm pretty sure that the thousand words this picture tells is a series of non-sensical words, expletives, and "Huh? What is that?". The doodle in its not so doodle-y form:



That makes perfect sense, right? Well, then, we can move on...okay, I'll add a few more words to this already lengthy post.

If you refer to Figure 1 in the doodle, you will see what is generally considered a "good" blog post. The post starts with a beginning, a story is told/written, and a point is made. This point is generally something funny, a general life update, a supplication for advice, something. If you will now refer to Figure 2, and yes, I thought about making two different images, but Figure 1 was so small and tiny all by itself in a big image that it wanted to play with Figure 2 and make it really hard for you to figure out since the lines that should be dashed lines look like solid lines. Back to Figure 2. When I tell a story, I generally start at the beginning, but sometimes start in the middle if I think you already know what's going on, start telling the main story, get distracted by a related story, go back to the main story (that's why the supposed to be dashed line represents--see, I go back to the main story where I left off), tell the main story a little bit longer, get distracted again who knows how many times (in this image thrice), and eventually I will work my way to the initial point of the story (if I remember why I was telling that story).

So, there is the disclaimer. If you read the hypothetical posts that I am going to make, be prepared to be reading, stop, ask yourself "What is he talking about?", realize it is a tangental story and you missed the segway (which are non-existant), keep reading, and hope that it all ties together nicely by the end of the story. Deal? If you think that is a hard thing to do, look at it this way--you've already experienced my tangents. You've now read all about the doodle and how it came to be (which is a side story), the true disclaimer (the main point of the post), and now I don't even remember what else was in there. Ahh, stream of consciousness how I enjoy using you in story-time. Anyways, there is the disclaimer. If nothing else, I hope to put some pretty pictures on the blog. Maybe this time, the newly added pictures will be those that don't require additional words expect what it is a picture of and where it was taken and maybe why. Which in reality, will be a lot of additional words.

4 Comments:

At January 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Robbie said...

I think that it's called being Southern, my friend. If you find your yarn-spinning anything but normal then you obviously are being poorly influenced by that Yankee you married. Mind you, I'm not saying anything bad about the Yankee -- indeed, I'm rather fond of her company, too -- but only that maybe she's a bad influence on you and you should probably sell her to the next band of passing Civil War reenactors.

 
At January 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Chris said...

But The Wife is from Tennessee. Well, born there. Some days she claims Seattle, some days she claims Tennessee. So, the "Yankee" argument doesn't work.

 
At January 6, 2009 at 9:47 PM , Anonymous Robbie said...

Oh, no! There's a hidden Yankee in your life; pulling strings, influencing things! The two of you'd better move back to GA where we can keep an eye on you. Sneaky Yankees!

 
At January 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Either way, I'm going with something like this: A good blog entry is **all about** the dotted lines. All that straight line nonsense is just too straight forward (ha) for the likes of The Wife's readers.

At least that's what I think.

Can't wait for the Stories of Beantown As Told By The Husband.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home