23 October 2008

Flukes

Well, turns out that Miracle of the Day was just a fluke. It's no big deal, it--like most miracles--was totally unexpected and provided just enough of a reprieve to give me a flicker of light at the end of a very long tunnel of sleeplessness.

The Boy is back to getting up at least once and in the case of last night twice during the night. I think he's still cold, when I changed him at 2am he had goosebumps straight out of the swaddling and he was in a onesie and feetie pajamas.

So I'm sending out an SOS for ideas on how to keep this Boy warm. I've talked to the Husband about turning the heat UP (we've already turned it ON). I've thought about putting a flannel blanket UNDER his pack and play sheet and then swaddling him in double weight flannel. I've thought about FLEECE pajamas (he only has 1 pair, but we could get more) and THEN the swaddling in double weight flannel. I've even thought maybe if I slap some socks and a hat on him and THEN his pajamas and THEN the swaddling maybe THAT would be enough. The thing is, we're trying NOT to have a catastrophic electricity bill so turning the heat UP is going to be our If All Else Fails measure--I least that's my guess based on 4 years of living with the Husband (aka Ebeneezer--about certain things).

And now to cast a humorous light on this otherwise perplexing situation, I give you Dickens. (Dudes, I CAN'T wait to read this to the Boy this year!)

"Scrooge had a very small fire, but the clerk's fire was so very much smaller that it looked like one coal. But he couldn't replenish it, for Scrooge kept the coal-box in his own room; and so surely as the clerk came in with the shovel, the master predicted that it would be necessary for them to part. Wherefore the clerk put on his white comforter, and tried to warm himself at the candle; in which effort, not being a man of strong imagination, he failed."

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At October 23, 2008 at 9:55 AM , Anonymous Robbie said...

I think that you will find that a hat would do wonders. A human determined to do so -- and el CIB seems so determined -- can lose an absurdly high percentage of heat through the head. Head, chest and feet, in that order, are the usual culprits for heat loss.

 
At October 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Jill said...

i remember thinking the same thing with lily - she started waking up a LOT during her first winter and it was a belated thought that she was probably cold - we moved her crib away from the window (duh, in hindsight) and that really contributed beautifully.

get a warm, heavy blanket. put it over top, take out in several hours, toasty warm and ready to eat (as in he will be, of course).

 
At October 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Hmm. As one rookie mom to another, I vote for the following:

-fleecy pajamas (because they are VERY warm)
-onesie underneath
-double weight flannel
-hat
-blanket on top of THAT, if necessary (like when it starts to get really cold)

I have a feeling the hat/fleece combo will work nicely.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home