31 July 2008

Still Standing

Hi.

Sorry about the lack of updates lately, my MIL, Aunt-in-law and Grandmama-in-law have all been here visiting.

Well, they were here for the Boy--the Husband and I are totally superfluous to the situation now. Well, the Husband more so than me, at least they still need me to feed the Boy so I'm not entirely superfluous.

It was a great visit, they showered affection, presents and compliments on the Boy ("He's so ADVANCED! He's beautiful! He's an Angel Baby!") only some of which were true and the Boy is having withdrawal from being held all the time.

He's currently wrapped in a blanket and sitting in his car seat staring out the window. He's fed and clean and happy and Mama needed both hands to eat some breakfast, he will survive even if he is not held every blessed minute of the day.

In Guantanamo news, he's doing much better. We had a bit of a relapse this morning (alas, I saw yet another sunrise) until I went and rousted the Husband out of bed around 6:30 (his alarm was set for 7, don't feel too sorry for him, it was the first time I got him up all night) and I crashed and he sat up with the Boy until he went back to sleep. The best news of all is that he's eating for longer periods of time which means the Boy SLEEPS for 4-5 hours at a stretch which makes his Mama love him so SO much more.

And the adults in Burnstopia? We're good. I'm still sore and healing from that nasty section, the Husband is still plugging away at his internship (he'll probably work through the first week of August), we still love each other and most of all we still love the Boy. Who is now paging me from his car seat proclaiming his current state of discontent. I'm off to assess the situation.

As means of an informal poll--I'm currently rereading Harry Potter (quiet, it's mind-numbing goodness is exactly what I needed post-partum) but I'm in the market for some book recommendations since the Boy seems to be hitting a growth spurt that requires the constant presence of me and the constant absence of a shirt. So, what are you all reading right now? Anything good?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

Have you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? It came highly recommended by a member of my book group (who I trust ...) and it is amazing. I've been afraid to mention it because I feel like you have already read it. If so, let me know and we'll talk all about it after I finish it.

Also on my list (but haven't tried yet): Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See? I heard an interview with her on New Letters on the Air and it sounds interesting, so I bought it as part of a 3 for 2 deal. A non-fiction book that has been on my list is Stiff by Mary Roach. She writes for Reader's Digest and I like what I've read. I also recently read The Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. It wasn't bad (had some Austin themes) but wasn't that great, either. In that same category, and from book group: Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton, Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (this last one was a little better.) Does that get you started?

 
At July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Kristin said...

It truly is amazing what a few extra hours of sleep can do for a person. Yeah for sleep!

A few of my all time favorite books that I feel are always up for a re-read are: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas, and Persuasion by Jane Austen.

A few books falling under the mindless entertainment category that I quite enjoy are Eragon and Eldest. They are both written by Christopher Paolini and are part of a trilogy (Inheritance Trilogy). The third book, Brisingr, comes out in a month. These books are what I imagine would happen if Harry Potter met Lord of the Rings. I also enjoyed the Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, and Bourne Ultimatum.

 
At July 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous Katrina said...

In similar mind-numbing fashion I am re-reading the twilight series. The fourth and final book comes out on Saturday. It's been a perfect way to pass the time while nursing.

And I second the Asher Lev books. Love them. Hence the reason I named my son Asher. I need to reread those next.

 
At July 31, 2008 at 11:41 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

And yet AGAIN we are the same person because guess what I re-read after Alice was born? YES, HARRY POTTER. I'm still a bit on the brain-numb, so I can't really suggest any new books. Other than poetry. Mmmmm poetry.

Love you.

 
At August 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM , Anonymous Mona said...

So, I'm still reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon - you might like it. And in preparation for the impending school year, I'm also rereading HP7. Did you hear about The Tales of Beedle the Bard coming out Dec. 4? Happy days!!! Oh and go check out the mini-trailer of HP6 when you have the time, just to round out your current state of HP mindlessness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home