22 March 2009

Follow-up

So, in answer to Whimsy's very pertinent questions, the Husband is leaving for the ACHE conference in Chicago, America. In fact, he just left to go to the airport and I am sad.

Also, very, very tired, but mostly sad.

You know how marriage is, sometimes everything is great and you date and talk and laugh and have wonderful discussions (like we've had recently) and sometimes you're leading two distinct lives and it's more passing conversations about what happened in the course of the day. Even when it's not so great, he's still my best friend and the love of my life and I'm going to miss him like crazy. I count it as no small success when I can make him laugh, because, dude, he's a tough audience.

Anyway.

We watched the Fountain with Rachel Weiz and shoot...the guy who plays Wolverine...Hugh Jackman! It was billed as a sci-fi love story and it was...sort of. We're not entirely sure that we "get it." It was good in a very abstract sort of way, but there's no getting around that it's about DEATH.

Anyway, it was very touching how much he loved his wife, and I quite enjoyed it, if only because I've read so much Tolkien and when seen in context with Tolkien's views on mortality and death it was a very powerful movie. I would watch it again, but NOT before the Husband has to fly away for a conference.

We were talking last night and he said to me, "Airplane's are perfectly safe." And my response to him was, "Airplanes are perfectly highjackable and subject to crashing because, Dude, GRAVITY."

I'm pretty sure that he was not amused. Also, I'm pretty sure that "highjackable" is not a word, but I'm a little distressed so I think I'm allowed.

We had a marvelous time in Bed Sweet Bed talking about all the things it would be nice to be able to say, but lo, we need a job. So he will go and schmooze and hob his nob off, and be his charming and wonderfully intelligent self, and the Boy and I will stay here and hope that the airplanes do not crash and are not highjacked. Also, I will be reading books about LIFE and LIVING and NOT death.

And I may even get around to writing that post about David Copperfield (about LIFE and LIVING and NOT about death) and identity...you just never know, for I am unpredictable in that way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 22, 2009 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous Katrina said...

We watched that movie back when we were dating. It is beautiful and strange. Definitely leaves you thinking.

 
At March 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Chicagoland will be all the richer for you guys if something happens up that way.

I lurve you.

 
At March 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

Um yes, movies about death and dying are NOT good while the hubby is away. I learned that the hard way...am watching many HAPPY things this time. :) Sending warm fuzzies your way...

 
At March 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Emily said...

I'm ready for our men to come home!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home