19 February 2009

Date Night


Wow.

So that's what life is like amongst three dimensional adults.

Three weeks ago (or so) I heard this brief spot on NPR about Anthony Bourdain coming as part of the Bryan Lecture Series with Guilford College and I thought, "Hmm. The Husband loves Anthony Bourdain. I like Anthony Bourdain. This could be fun!" So I bought them as part of his birthday celebration. It just so happens that tonight was the featured night.

Sadly, the Husband is coming down with what the Boy and I have been sick with this past...week...10 days...something like that. But we had paid good money for these tickets and we haven't done anything really fun and well, OUT since before the Boy was born so we had more than earned our night out.

So we left the Boy with my charming neice and we trotted off to see Anthony Bourdain.

Frankly, that was the strangest mix of people I've ever seen at any kind of performing arts venue. It was very obviously this odd proportion of season ticket holders (the over 45 crowd) and then those of us who are fairly young, foodies, punks, artists, and chefs. But it was fairly cool. There was an oddly high proportion of pregnant women and women with young babies there...but that's another story.

Anyway, this guy is incredibly cool. He's traveled all over the world and his over-riding message is Be grateful for what you have. He seems genuinely stunned by his own good luck. And while he does his fair share of disparaging the mass marketed crap one finds on television, he also does his fair share of praising the efforts of various sincere chefs.

He had a hilarious rant on THIS spot with the Devil Sandra Lee.

He talked about great meals and scary meals, rich and poor and what makes a great conversation. He talked about the ways that food brings us togther regardless of whether or not we share the same beliefs.

Most of all, the Husband and I, we laughed and we talked and I (at least) got to feel like a thinking, breathing adult again.

The Husband is running my neice home and I'm listening to the Boy fuss. It will probably be months again before we get to go on another actual real date night, but man, it was great.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 20, 2009 at 2:18 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Ahhh! Happy Date Night!!!! That's fantastic.

 
At February 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM , Anonymous Rae said...

Date nights make me stupid, silly, giggly giddy. It's nauseating. We do two-three date nights a year, and it never ceases to make a babbling idiot of me.

It sounds like a really good night.

 
At February 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM , Anonymous Jeff VanD. said...

Alright you two.. first off I feel a little offended you didn't ask us to help (and by us, I mean Debbi, since I am out of town).

Second off... months till the next time? That is unacceptable in our book. You have watched our kids numerous times, and now that we can actually return the favor, you don't ask.

I will be expecting a call, email, etc. in the near future so you can get out and be adults again. No excuses will be tolerated.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home