21 January 2009

The Antidote

Last night I pulled my favorite biography of Jane Austen down off the shelf.

That's how the Husband knows I'm really depressed. I start reading my way through Jane Austen.

For those curious, I have been reading Dr. Zhivago. But last night was one of those nights where I just couldn't face Yurii and Lara again.

Aside from not getting the Boston job and from having no current leads on future employment, we found out that a really close friend of ours has been diagnosed with lymphoma. His prognosis is pretty good, but still. He's one of the good guys. Not that there are people who deserve cancer, I don't think anyone deserves that--but it's always the really good ones who have to suffer more than seems just.

Anyway, so after the head shaking from the Husband over the rereading of this biography (it's my third or fourth time through, I can't remember), I started thinking about why it is that Jane Austen is the comfort to me that she is and here is what I came up with.


She had a decidedly unhappy life. Her family was poor, her brothers had all the time, attention and affection of their parents. She had a tense (at best) and competitive (at worst) relationship with her mother. She was subject to the whims of all the men in her life with very little or no say at all in her own comings and goings, and she was smart. A woman with a singularly gifted mind and yet, stuck--stuck in this powerless, rut of life from whence her only escape would have been a mediocre marriage.

And yet.

She didn't sit around a mope. (Well, she probably did at some times...but that's only human.) She picked up her pen and she beat back all of those injustices with humor and wit. She proved that she was more than the equal of her brothers (after all, who remembers any of them?) , she was their superior. And most of all, she proved her mother wrong. Her mother had no faith in her, thought that she was wasting her time on drivel. It was her father who knew her to be talented. Sadly, he didn't live to see her success. But her mother did--and I think she eventually became proud of her, in her way.

Aside from her literary success, she never failed at being a good sister, a good daughter, a good friend and a good aunt. She juggled those different roles and all that they entailed and she still managed to carve out a corner for herself and herself alone. I love that. I feel like so often, I let something fall--daughter, wife, mother, sister, aunt or friend, in accomplishing that corner for myself.

Critics disparage her because she "panders to the fairy tale motif" and all I can think of in response is, "So?" Honestly. So what? If your life was miserable and you had the ability to WRITE your own happy ending, wouldn't you? Would Pride and Prejudice be any more of a masterpiece if Darcy and Elizabeth continue to misunderstand each other and the Bennet girls end up impoverished and dependent on vile Mr. Collins for the rest of their natural lives? I doubt it. Her genius lies, not in her ENDINGS, but in her technique. Go back through all of the novels--her language is clear, concise and witty. It's nuanced and delicate. She wasn't being funny when she described her work as "a fine brush on a bit of ivory two inches wide..." that's exactly what it is. And to see the genius behind it, you have to look with better eyes.

I have gotten fantastically off topic. Where did I start? Honestly, it's like the Husband is writing this post...

Right! Jane Austen...balm of solace in times of depression. What I'm curious about is this...

Am I the odd duck here again? Do you all have favorites that you read when you get depressed? Does it translate to movies or music...are there certain things that you watch or listen to when you get depressed--either to cheer yourself up or to drown your sorrows? And the first person who tells me they work out gets to be held down and gnawed up by my son and his razor sharp teeth. I have been subjecting myself to that miserable 30 day shred and it's nothing short of a wonder I can even move to the bookshelf to get the book.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At January 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Katrina said...

Love Jane. She is literary or cinematic (I love all the movie adaptations!) comfort food! The Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma is one that I watch over and over again. Always makes me feel better to see Emma get her Mr. Knightley!

(Sorry things are hard right now!)

 
At January 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM , Anonymous Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

For me, it depends on the kind of depressed. I'm not a good crier, so if I need to cry, I watch or read a tear-jerker. Usually though, when I'm upset, I need something to calm my over-active brain down, so I turn to a playlist of loud and fast music, sometimes even something a little harsh, for lack of a better way to describe it. After a time, I can calm down, turn the music down, and get on with things in a more healthy way.

 
At January 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Jeff VanD. said...

For me, it's music. I love music and it helps me feel the Spirit which lifts me and helps me move on.

I know you are probably saying that I never get depressed... just know that is not the case. I listen to a lot of music. :)

Feel better soon friend. This too will pass.

 
At January 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous Amy Marsh said...

Oh Melissa, I do miss you. I LOVE to read your thoughts (posts). I can totally relate. I do the same thing. Only it's less literary and intellectual. :) I go to Kroger, buy a box of Dove ice cream bars, rent a sappy movie (usually Pride and Prejudice) and cry and eat.
You're not alone. (I only work out when I'm mad!!) :)

 
At January 22, 2009 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous Kristin said...

I agree with Sarah, there are different degrees of depressed, well, at least for me as well. I find mind-numbing, action packed entertainment helps me the most. Those are the times that watching twenty-four hours of 24 in a row could be considered healthy. I have a favorite blog, Swistle, who writes about how to wallow in style. Check it out. It may make you feel better or at least give you some ideas. http://swistle.blogspot.com/2009/01/wallowing.html

 
At January 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM , Anonymous Rae said...

I like Jimmy Stewart movies for times like these. Jimmy's never led me astray...

If that doesn't work, I'll watch Jon and Kate plus 8, because I know that I can feel better not exploiting my children or berating my husband on national TV.

I'm sorry, honey. This was a beautifully written post.

 
At January 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM , Anonymous Katie Smith said...

I HATE to admit it but I read Twilight. I love being taking from whatever is sad in my life to that crazy world and than let my mind wonder and day dream of a different life I could be leading. Soon, I come out of it and get back into the swing of things (and you should try running, with your iPod on real loud, it really does help!!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home