02 May 2011

Breathing

After 12 days, 1 trip to urgent care, 1 ear infection, 1 sinus infection, and innumerable coughing fits, I can finally say that I think I'm starting to feel better.  It's been a wretched virus, one I wouldn't wish on anyone.  The Boy shook it off after 7 days, mine lingered like a bad party guest.

So now that I'm feeling better, and breathing a bit, I have declared this week to be Catch Up Week (not to be confused with Ketchup Week--though I bet the Boy would LOVE to celebrate that one).  I need to turn my attention to the miriad of tasks that have been neglected in my indisposition.  Foremost will be the consistent disciplining of the Boy--he's had a bit of a hay day since I fell ill.  Followed by getting everything in order for my total absence from the homestead next week.

In case I failed to mention it, I have been suckered in to teaching here

My one consolation is that I won't have to do it again.  My darling sister (who is the only person for whom I would undertake this venture) is QUITTING!  I don't think she's ever quit anything in her LIFE, so I'm taking no small amount of pride in her refusal for next year.  So I get to go to the conference, listen to some good stuff, learn some good stuff (hopefully) and do a bit of talking about why it's imperative that people study literature.

I think approximately NO ONE who knows me will be surprised about my topic.  As I do indeed find the study of literature to be ESSENTIAL.

Speaking of study, I've been reading a biography of George Eliot, who many of you know that I love.  I find myself regularly surprised, nay SHOCKED at how obsessed she was with being loved.  For a woman who REGULARLY defied social conventions to do whatever the heck she wanted, she absolutely PINES for love and affection in a way that is not normal.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the biography.

As you can see, I have abandoned my 2011 Reading Resolution of reading or rereading all of Elizabeth Gaskell's works--I made it through Mary Barton, but just couldn't get in to Cranford.  I think it's not the right season.  Cranford is best read in the Fall.  I'll get there, eventually.  But when an author demands your attention, it's best to give them your attention, lest they take to whining like a moody teenager.

As you can also see, I have wandered a bit from my original point which was that I am catching up on Stuff this week.  And getting ready for my absence next week.  After that I have some big plans--lunch with my Sister to celebrate her new found freedom!  And also Chris and I will be attending the reenactment of the War of the Regulation this year!  I'm such a geek because I'm totally excited about that!  Chris will be attending his 16th annual Sausagefest Weekend (my man has had the same friends since he was 12.  Am I the only one that finds that a little strange?) on Memorial day weekend.  The Boy and I will stay here and do cozy things (cuddle on the couch and read books), we might be so adventurous as to stray to the park or the pool since the weather has officially warmed up around here.

Anyone else have plans (big or little) that they're excited about?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Celeste said...

*whine* i wish i could hear you speeeeak! you'll be great!! I'm glad you're well. Those late flu season sickies are downright unfair.

 
At May 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Sibley Saga .... said...

Duuuuuuude! I wanna go! I'd love to hear you speak, plus I've never been to a conference like that. I'd absolutely love to hear the stuff geared to beginners like myself. Do they have stuff like that over on this coast?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home