29 September 2009

Potty Tales

I generally try to keep the blog poop-free. But I have such a story for you, full of drama and humor and wailing-child, and the poop is really just sort of a setting.

The month of September has breezed right by us. I have no idea where the time has gone, but gone it has. I know in the first half of the month the Boy had a stomach bug because those diapers will haunt me for quite some time. It was a good 10 days of nastiness, and the last 4 days he didn't eat much at all. He's doing much better, eating us out of house and home again, and the diapers...well, it's starting to seem that they might not return to normal.

See, after the stomach bug, the poop pendulum swung to the other extreme. (Please don't make me be more graphic than that.) And it involved the Boy on all fours, pushing until he was red in the face and screaming. I would pick him up, take him in to the toilet, take off his diaper and sit him on the toilet--thinking that the shift in positions might help. He would hold on to me--we don't want him falling in--and things would...eventually...work themselves out.

Needless to say, he's back on his high fiber diet.

The situation has been back to normal for over a week now, but it seems that the Boy is now used to pooping on the toilet and does NOT want to poop in his diaper any more. He feels it coming, looks at me, starts a-screamin' and it's off to the toilet we go. I think we need to invest in a Boy sized toilet and sooner rather than later.

It started me thinking about the eccentricities of kids and how there are things that only the Mothers get. I'm trying to compile a working list of them for my Mom, for her reference, while I'm off gallivanting in New York. It's actually quite hard to do, to me, he's just my kid. But to other people, these quirks are outside of the norm for toddler behavior and should probably be noted. My other reason for doing it, is that it provides a great opportunity to note the thrilling tales of the day to day experience of mothering this awesome Boy.

(He's sitting next to me looking ever so studiously at a book of Baby Animals. Turning each page individually and then turning back to compare. He cracks me up.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Please tell us you're going to share that list. It would be too cruel to wave the existence of the list before us, only to keep it to yourself!!!!

SHARE.
THE.
LIST.

Also: the potty thing? IS HILARIOUS!

 
At September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous Katrina said...

I think that is awesome! The pooping on the toilet that is. He's letting you know he has to go which is a huge deal. You've heard of Elimination Communication right? EC people would tell you that this is a very good thiing.

 
At September 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM , Anonymous SH said...

Love it! And I, too, request to see the list!!

I'd also like to point out how glad I am that someone else GETS THAT. The need for a list, per se. Justin always rolls his eyes at me whenever I get frantic about making sure to remember to tell the grandparents about some little quirky thing that Katelyn does and he's all blah, blah they've done this before yada, yada. Yeah with THEIR kid, not MINE. It's easier now that she talks but it was definitely a point of contention there for a bit when she was communicating in strange ways! ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home