20 May 2009

Strong Opinions

Years ago, Vladimir Nabokov published a book titled Strong Opinions in which he expressed his views on...oh, everything. I've never read it--I prefer his Speak, Memory--but I give it mental space because it so amuses me how MAD people got after reading it.

After all, it's in the title. Opinions. The book isn't titled: This is the Way All People Should Live EVERYWHERE and if they were Anyone of Value they WOULD. It's titled Strong Opinions (and it should be subtitled Ye Be Warned).

I reference this because I'm launching a new series of posts around here and I'm borrowing the title. The man is dead, and I sincerely doubt that my blog would reach up to his intellectual standard of reading, so pfffffft.

I have some strong opinions. I mostly keep them mum because sharing opinions can occasionally come off as being in direct contradiction to the Burnstopia rule of Live and Let Live; and there are people who share their opinions as if there was NO OTHER point of view. So, let's all be clear at the outset--these are my Opinions, and while I think that it would be awesome if more people chose to see the world this way, I fully respect everyone's right to choose for themselves what works best for them.

I have a few opinions that I intend to share, and if you all think of something you'd like to hear my opinion about, feel free to ask for it in the comments or via email.


Also, as a side note. If a post offends you, please EMAIL me. I would hate for anyone to stop reading, get huffy, or...well...be offended because I went up to the edge and then just moseyed right on over it. I'm a totally neurotic girl, but I pretend to be pretty laid back. Anyone can talk to me about anything and I can almost keep my cool. So please, don't fester.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At May 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Oh! I'm looking forward to this. There might be some Strong Opinions that I'm unfamiliar with, and that excites me. Let 'er rip.

 
At May 20, 2009 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Kristin said...

I second Whimsy!

 
At May 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM , Anonymous Katrina said...

I'm totally excited!

 
At May 24, 2009 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

I triple Whimsy!

 
At May 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM , Anonymous Annie Atkin Rasmussen said...

Melissa Q(?) Burns, I swear I will hunt you down for coming up with this idea before I did! :)

I found another EXCELLENT and well-written post in the same tradition today, but I warn you it is about c-sections (therefore it might not be quite as funny to you): http://gisellestotalwasteofbandwidth.blogspot.com/2009/05/different-kind-of-consent-form.html. Enjoy it if you like.

 
At September 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM , Anonymous Annie Atkin Rasmussen said...

Melissa, I can't even tell you how often I have thought about this post since I first read it months ago. I realize that I am... well, very envious. I am quite jealous of your ability to just say your strong opinions without hurting people! I have enjoyed all of your "strong opinions" posts. Keep them coming, please!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home