21 April 2009

Civil Disobedient Wife and also...a blurb

So.

Whimsy's been here. I have several posts that I have essentially TALKED to her and she is insisting that I post them, so I shall...later this week, but for now there's an announcement of sorts that I need to make. Just know that this too, was born of a conversation with that extraordinary Whimsy.

I started this blog for ME. As a place for me to write. I had been out of academia for a while and I was feeling the absence of writing in my life. Over time, as I came to be aware of some of my readers I began to cater the blog to them--sharing funny stories of our life here in North Carolina for our friends and family who live away from us, and NOT sharing some of the gorier details of Life as the Wife. It happened gradually and for a variety of reasons...it was easier to cater to my audience rather than risk alienating people and tell the truth. I'm a VERY private person and it was easier to hide behind my fortress walls and dress them with pretty ivy to distract you all from the facts that I wasn't telling you.

note: I'm still not going to tell you everything. But.

I am RECLAIMING my blog. I, the Wife, heretofore reclaim my Blog for myself. It is a place where I can write about the things that I'm reading about, thinking about, laughing about and crying about. Without apology, without remorse and sometimes without explanation.

If you don't like what you read, DON'T read it.


The End.





Now for the blurb.

The Husband is an awesome Husband in a number of ways, but up towards the top of the list is that he will generally read anything I tell him to read. He's read Anil's Ghost, Pride and Prejudice, Pickwick Papers and Our Mutual Friend. He read Everything is Illuminated AND Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's fantastic for me to hear his varying view points and opinions about these books.

Everyone has been asking me if I've read those Twilight books by (ugh) Stephanie Meyer, and I got tired of telling people No--without clarifying that I generally read books written for ADULTS. So for Christmas the Husband bought the books for me. I read them. They were cheesy and hokey and irritatingly compelling. Stephanie Meyer should be drawn and quartered in Poet's Corner of the Canterbury Cathedral for the injustices that she has committed against actual, REAL works of literature. I complained about them to the extent that the Husband became curious, and seeking to escape his final semester as a grad student and all the HELL that that entails--he started reading them.

I asked him how it was going. He said, "It's not so bad as long as I start off every chapter by saying, "Dear Diary..." to myself."

I cracked up laughing.

Up and coming: The David Copperfield post, a post on the Magnificent Whimsy, and something about how The Boy has changed the Wife.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At April 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

LONG
LIVE
The
REVOLUTION

 
At April 21, 2009 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Amy said...

Your hus cracks me up! "Dear Diary" is a perfect way to start anything by Stephenie Meyer. I read the first book in the Twilight series because our moms group book club was reading it. I couldn't believe that some of the moms were all "OMG! I Heart Cullen!!!!". With that many exclamation points. Puh-lease people. We even saw the movie together and I thought my eyes were going to permanently stayed rolled up in my head and I literally felt dumber for having sat through the movie. But to each his own, right?

That being said, I don't normally read the classics or anything, but if I'm going to escape from my 13 month old and husband I want to read something of more substance than the Twilight series.

 
At April 22, 2009 at 11:38 AM , Anonymous ~SH~ said...

Good for you!! And as a side note - I looking forward to the post on how The Boy has changed The Wife. :)

 
At April 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM , Anonymous Rae said...

"but I'm so ANGSTY!"

We read them, because sometimes, no matter how much you'll regret it after, you just have to eat the twinkie. I even attended opening night, peppering my conversations with the occisional loud "Edward is a tool!" just to hear the shocked gasps from overly hormonal tweens, teens, and moms.

Chris likes do the same to the students he finds reading them instead of working during classtime. It brings us no end of joy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home