03 October 2008

Death by Screaming

Wow.

So, when we last met, I--your fearless author--was informing you of the forthcoming Epic Battle of Wills part 2 as we try to get the Boy on a schedule.

Wednesday went ok. An hour nap in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and down for the count at 7:30 (a bit ahead of schedule but better than late).

Yesterday? Oh dear. It's a wonder we all made it out alive. The Boy launched his first offensive regarding the morning nap, which he would not (WOULD NOT) take. There was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, there was kicking, there was banging his head against my arm and chest. It was decidedly unpleasant but not unexpected.

Oh how naive I am. I honestly thought that since he hadn't napped that morning he would snooze the afternoon away. I had (perhaps) underestimated my opponent but no more. After the 3 hour screaming bombardment I now know what I am up against. He took no afternoon nap, and he followed up the screaming with yet more screaming in the evening. I attempted to capture photographic evidence of his tactics, but alas, he foiled me again.

As for today? Well, today we went grocery shopping (which means he missed his morning nap) and he howled for an hour before I would put him down for his afternoon nap (thankfully, I was in the shower at the time--thank you Gina!). He slept for 2 and half hours--conceding the battle but not the war, I'm sure--and we have resumed our Epic Battle of Wills. He's currently fussing in his crib. Tonight should prove interesting as we are going out and we are taking him with us.

I'll keep you abreast of further developments. For now, here's one of the highlights of the last day of September. The Boy, the Agnes and the Husband...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

Oh dear, sweet Melissa. I was wondering how the war was going. Sounds like you've got quite the opponent on your hands. I know you'll conquer in the end! After reading your post I'm much more grateful for my little snoozer.

 
At October 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM , Anonymous Gina said...

Ohhh. (grimace) I am not glad for your plight, although I am glad I could offer one useful tidbit of advice.
Since I'm on a roll...my next piece of advice is this. After he's screamed for his hour stint and you're wondering if the neighbors are thinking of calling DSS on you, they won't. Well...at least, they never did knock on my door despite my fear that they would. :)
And one more thing...In the end, little Kylie became the best little sleeper once I won the battle. It IS worth it in the end!

 
At October 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Molly said...

Soo... for some reason I feel a little awkward about doing this (probably because I imagine that you already know about these books), but- I recommend the following two books which saved my life and the lives of those who were living with me during the "sleep training" times.

Baby Whisperer
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home