12 December 2007

Craptacular

I generally have a quiet job. I get phone calls...mostly perspective students wanting to know more about one of the programs we offer. I get the occasional bizarre number. It usually adds humor to the day. (Now that I think about it, this always happens on Wednesdays...what's with that?)

But seriously, people, if your job is to call and harass innocent people? Quit now and pursue a life of peace.

We had a graduate student here a while ago, who, it seems, rang up quiet the credit card bill. She has since gone back to TAIWAN. But because she listed this number as her "contact" number, her credit card collection company keeps calling ME. ME!!!

I have tried everything with these people. I tell them she doesn't work here any more. She doesn't live here, this is a place of business. She's no longer in the country. I can't very well transfer you to TAIWAN. I'm sorry and blah blah blah. I am polite and professional because I am PAID to be so. Today has seriously pushed me over the edge.

This HORRIBLE woman called me 3 TIMES this morning looking for this poor student. The second time I informed her as politely as possible that the student is no longer here, she graduated and we do not have any forwarding information for her. The woman informed me that she didn't like me "tone" that I was "unprofessional" and could she "speak to my supervisor." People. We work in CUBICALS. My supervisor heard every word! She's been telling me to hang up on these people for months! That I'm too nice to them, I need to stop talking to them blah blah blah.

So I transferred her over to my supervisor who proceeded to tell her that what I had said was not unprofessional but rather, true. The woman then asks to speak with my supervisor's supervisor and so on up the food chain. My boss asked her to stop calling and hung up on her! It was brilliant!

The woman immediately called me back. I saw the number pop up on caller ID and promptly left. Went to walk for a bit. Cool down so as not to pick up the phone and tell her this:

"You must be pretty proud of yourself! You get paid to be a WITCH. Nice life. So what do you tell your kids that you do all day? Harass innocent people who don't OWE you money? OH, wait, I'm assuming that someone would want to be near enough to you, you hateful, spiteful, cruel person, to PROCREATE with you, which now that I think about it, is doubtful at best. It's CHRISTMAS and I'm operating under no assumptions about your religious persuasion or tolerance here, but at LEAST be POLITE when you call STRANGERS. It costs you NOTHING and we are far more LIKELY to ASSIST you rather than HINDER you when you are NICE to us."

How's that for unprofessional?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 12, 2007 at 1:06 PM , Anonymous Tess said...

I can't believe SHE had the balls to get shitty with YOU. Seriously. Those people must be wound pretty tightly after working that job. Or maybe it's the other way around.

"Pursue a life of peace". Heh. That's practically my life motto.

 
At December 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM , Anonymous C said...

Where do you work again ;) I can't IMAGINE ever dealing with people like that! HOW RUDE!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home