03 July 2008

Sketches 3--and a non-update*

The Husband wears a shirt and tie to his internship almost every day. He is really not a shirt and tie kind of man, though he wears it well. Thus, when we come home from work the first thing he does is to change clothes. The tie comes off, the belt, the shoes, and we generally talk about the day that has been while he slowly divest himself of his uncomfortable clothes.

Last night, we came home and it was the same routine. I lay down in Bed Sweet Bed because my feet are painful puffer-fish and it had been a long long day. He begins the habitual stripping and walking and talking and wrangling cats. Suddenly, a contraction creeps in on me and it hurts.

I say politely to the Husband, "Please. Will you come and rub my back during this contraction?"

His response? "Can I change clothes first?"

Readers, I wish I were kidding.

Naturally, my response went along the lines of, "NO YOU CANNOT CHANGE CLOTHES FIRST, IT'S A CONTRACTION NOT A WHIM!!!! GET OVER HERE AND RUB MY BACK!!!!" I don't like to yell, but I think in the case of pain it's excusable.

Needless to say, we both cracked up laughing and he did indeed come and rub my back.

But Men--let this be a lesson to you--when your wife is in the late stages of pregnancy, when she has those contractions, do not expect to be able to change into comfortable clothes, just know that she is indeed MORE uncomfortable than you in your pants and button down dress shirt.




*As for the non-update. I went to the doctor this morning. As of Saturday (the 5th) I will be 40 weeks pregnant and the Boy has no inclination for life on the outside. Perhaps you could all send him lovely messages about how wonderful life is on the outside of a human being and that would convince him to try his hand at it. Ok. Go!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous the MuLLinS said...

Hahahhahahaha. I love you guys!! Wow. I can't believe you're basically almost DUE!! You are about to go on a crash diet and lose like 10lbs in one day! Wow wow wow. I guess I need to get that package in the mail now. This is so exciting. Ok. I'm on the EDGE of my seat and I am going to be checking the blog hourly from now until birth time. Keep us updated!!!!

 
At July 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Dear The Boy,

Life on the Outside is indeed, quite wonderful. This, Your Time On Earth, can be delightful. If you choose the exit your mother in the coming few days, you will not only be able to experience the wonders of sunlight, cuddly blankets, and kisses, but you'll also have the benefit of lots of red, white, and blue clothes. Because people will give you Independence-Day-themed clothing. (They do this to babies - I'll just prepare you. We adults think it's great to dress our children in bizarre themed outfits. Your friend Alice wore white pants with bunnies on the toes and a puffy tale on the bum for Easter, courtesy of your mother.)

If you don't come out of your own accord, your mother is going to have to use this phrase (and she'll be using it plenty enough later in life): DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE AFTER YOU.

Love and kisses,
Whimsy

 
At July 4, 2008 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Katrina said...

This made me laugh. I'm glad you guys laughed too. I'm sending "get out, baby!" vibes your way.

 
At July 4, 2008 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous Emily said...

Sounds like your boy is mighty stubborn and opinionated. Hmmmm... which side does that come from??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home