09 November 2007

Friday JOY

Maybe it's just me, BUT, I have these week periodically where they aren't particularly heinous...just generally irritating. The one redeeming point of these weeks is Friday: Day of Joy!

To make today even more Joy-able is that it's payday! Please, Internet, join me for a dance of JOY! (and also, I'm being Scarlet and trying not to think about my student loan payment today...I'll think about that tomorrow.)

So, it's 10:20 and I have no projects currently sitting on my desk, just my beloved copy of Bleak House and a highlighter all set for re-reading! I'm in a cozy fleece today and I have the prospect of 2 whole days ahead of me with not too much to do. Life is surprisingly good.

For those of you ready to gag about now, the Husband is sick. I've felt mildly feverish all week but told myself I was acting like a pansy and just go to work already! But lo, the Husband (who is very seldom sick) came home sick last night, took Tylenol, proceeded to wallow me like one of the cats, slept a whole bunch, took more Tylenol in the middle of the night and slept some more. Poor man. He's home sick today, while I am bringing bacon (whilst reading blogs and Bleak House all day). I'm gonna go home today and make that man some pudding. Because what cures a virus? Pudding!

So I have a conundrum for you. We're going to Savannah for Thanksgiving with the in-laws. Generally, I put up my Christmas tree (or as the Husband would say, our Chri'mah Bush--he's from Georgia...I don't ask questions...) the Sunday after Thanksgiving. (I LOVE a Christmas Tree, thank you for asking.) The problem is that we'll be driving home from Savannah that day with approximately 84 hojillion other drivers on I-95 so I know I won't want to put up the tree and decorate it after getting home. Which leaves me with 2 choices, and I'm chronically indecisive so I have come to you, dear readers, for assistance (The Internet...it's the NEW magic 8 ball!) I can either put up my tree the Sunday after the Sunday after Thanksgiving (also known as the 2nd of December) or I can put it up BEFORE we leave (also known as the 18th of November).

Before you get all head up about this, please know. I am not a Susy Martha Stewart. A Christmas Tree is the only piece of holiday decoration I OWN. And that includes ALL the other holidays. Also, you should probably know that the Husband strongly disagrees with me putting up the tree on the 18th because he says, "It's skipping a WHOLE holiday!!!" He is, apparently, outraged on behalf of the millions of turkeys that will innocently DIE to celebrate this holiday and cannot be bothered to put up a FAKE tree one week ahead of schedule. (Clearly, I disagree, but my loathing of Thanksgiving will be addressed at another time...)

So. Bring it on. 1 week early, or 1 week late? Your opinions please! Also, no Christmas trolls. I also celebrate Hanukkah--in company with my lovely Jewish friends.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 9, 2007 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

Hmmmm - this one is actually tough. I love me some Thanksgiving, and I love me some Christmas, and I definitely love me some Christmas Tree. But I get a little irritated about the whole pushing of Christmas up through Thanksgiving and past it. We now begin celebrating Christmas as soon as the last trick or treater has left the porch.

I guess that does it for me: while I love the Holidays and all they entail, I vote doing it one week late.

 
At November 9, 2007 at 2:37 PM , Anonymous Tess said...

I vote for BEFORE. Since you won't be there anyway it shouldn't bug you! And think of how nice it will be to come home with your tree already DONE!

The internet IS the new Magic Eight Ball.

 
At November 10, 2007 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous chocoholic said...

I have to say that I really like the Bradley tradition on this issue so that's what we've done since we've been married. They have a special FHE and put up the tree the first Monday in December. Thus, no encroaching on Turkey Day (or my birthday) but it is still up for almost the whole month. Me likey the Chri'mas bush too so I like having it up for a while. Also, as part of their FHE they put in a nightlight somewhere where they will see it that stays on all through "The Season" and it represents the Light of Christ. It's a nice little touch and a reminder of what it's really all about when it starts to get overwhelming and over-the-top. We've been doing that too. Just an idea. Sorry to be rambling but the short answer is - do it later.

 
At November 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Jeff said...

I vote for after Thanksgiving... I'm with husband on this one. Don't be slammin' the turkey!

http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/media/storage/paper885/news/2007/11/19/Opinion/Cartoon.For.November.19-3109696.shtml

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home