23 October 2007

Boston, one more time...

Okay, so here are the details of the trip.

We got in to town about 1pm and dropped our hud at P.'s. Lunch was, or course, the first priority.

Preface: The Husband and I are both youngest children (youngest of 4 if you want to know) so if you are an "oldest child" and it seems like we did a lot of wandering around aimlessly, it's because there was no one there to tell us what to do!

We walked down Massachusetts Avenue and found this amazing Greek place...And then we decided to walk to Harvard. It's a city, right? How far could it be? And it wasn't really that far...
So we did some wandering around Haahvaahd which was more than a little disappointing. It seems you need to have a Haahvaahd ID to get in to ANY of the buildings which I thought was a bit of overkill but maybe that's just me.



The sign itself wouldn't have been so annoying if it weren't for this:


Yep. You had to climb up all of those to even get to the lame sign telling you that your ass isn't white-collar, blue blood, old money enough to get in to even look at all the pretty books. And as much as I resented this (I borrowed your damn books, Haahvaahd! Anyone want to read my thesis? What's that resounding no mean?)...but it sparked a great discussion between the Husband and I on the control of information and the nature (and preservation) of power and existing norms...I know. We're dorks. It's okay.

The coolest thing we saw at Haahvaahd was this dog stalking a squirrel.


Then we found the Haahvaahd Natural History museum and saw much cool stuff--including a domestic Ass--who knew? at Harvard!


I know. We are both children...masquerading as adults...but we had a lot of fun together, which was nice for a change.

We walked through this amazing cemetery on the way to meet up with P. for dinner and saw all of these granite tombstones dating from the late 17th and early 18th century...it was so cool.
Friday came in grey. So we had some breakfast (Mr. Crepe!) and headed out to Boston Commons. We spent much of the morning wandering around aimlessly...we eventually found ourselves on the Freedom Trail though, and managed to meander past the Faneuil House and the Park Street Church and then we found the Holocaust memorial and we stopped and walked through and read and thought and took a moment to talk about all of those people who died so that they, in that moment, were remembered.


P. had said that he wanted to "do the Freedom Trail with us" so we saved the museums and Constitution for Saturday. uh-huh. We're pretty naive people.

Saturday came in with the Head of the Charles (which would be alarming except it's a rowing rigatta and not really as exciting as someone coming in with the actual head of someone named Charles...but maybe that's another story). P. had said, "We'll just stop by..." Which I innocently took to mean, 10 maybe 15 minutes. I like sports as much as the next girl--but I prefer them on the television, in my living room, in my pajamas, with me multi-tasking (i.e. reading a book). It was cool and grey which was lovely...but the wind blowing my hair every which way was not.


We eventually headed down town and towards the Constitution which was AMAZING!!! The Husband was like a kid at Christmas, his face all lit up and taking pictures of everything and absolutely in love with this ship. (I think the Husband has read the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien one too many times, but maybe that's just me...)


By the time the boys left the ship and toured the museum, everything was closing down for the day. We headed to Mikes and ate cannolis and then headed back to Cambridge for the night. Needless to say, I was disappointed. There was much I had expressly asked to see, but only one thing that I told the Husband I would cry if I didn't get to see. And I didn't get to see it. And I didn't cry--I'm not a completely spoiled brat--but I was unhappy and he knew it.

We flew home on Sunday. I think we were both just happy to be home, in our own space, with our cats and back to our routine. Boston was a great city to visit, and I certainly learned some important lessons--please see the aforeposted list--I'll do it differently next time. If we get a next time.

2 Comments:

At October 24, 2007 at 12:02 PM , Anonymous Tess said...

Was it Cheers? Okay, that was me.

You definitely have to go back!

 
At October 25, 2007 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous SH said...

So, it's been a while since I visited your blog ... looks like you've been busy writing - I'll have to catch up!
I didn't know you went to Boston last weekend - hope it was fun overall! I wanted to share how I can relate on the next time go at it alone deal. So husband's company is based in St. Louis, husband's best friend's wife is from St. Louis, husband's boss in St. Louis was getting married and we were invited along with free flight to get there .. so we all go. I think we did the 3 day weekend thing and I knew we'd be busy with the wedding and all but our (husband and I) ONLY request was to see the arch. Only request. Can you see where I'm going with this? Ask me if we've seen the arch ... go ahead, ask. The answer - NO. But did we get to visit with husband's best friend's wife's parents twice ... yes, TWICE. Would not have been such a big deal if we had not agreed to share the rental car as long as we got to see the arch ... I'm saying not so much as even a common courtesy of a drive by! So we decided our next visit to St. Louis would be alone ... so we could do and see as we pleased!! And finally see the *insert expletive here* arch. That's all for now ... sorry my little story was so long - just wanted you to know that you and The Husband are not alone, been there, done that, got no tshirt, got no hat. ;)
Have a great day!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home