22 October 2007

First things First

I am working on a bit of a spread of our Boston trip, because I knooow all of you are sitting on the edges of your wee seats dying to know all about it. But in the meantime...I have some lists for you!

What I loved about the weekend in Boston:

1) Spending time with The Husband. We were goofy and silly and sarcastic. We ate great food and had great conversation. He bought me an ice cream cone out of the back of a van and I laughed the whole time I ate it because I haven't done such a thing since I was a small small child.
2) I could hear 8 different languages in the course of a city block! It was like my version of heaven!
3) Lots of cool overcast skies. Beautiful!
4) Lights are optional for pedestrians, if you think you can cross without getting hit--go for it!
5) Piling up on P.'s bed to watch Everything is Illuminated.
6) Watching the Husband exploring the USS Constitution. He was like a little kid at Christmas--I have seldom seen him so completely and totally happy.
7) Cannolis from Mikes...ohmygoodness ricotta cheese x sugar + chocolate chips = BLISS.

Things I did NOT like about my trip to Boston:

1) Flying. We did not like it. Not a bit of it.
2) People honk their car horns A LOT. If you so much as hesitate at a light that is still RED but will be turning GREEN in the next millisecond, they will honk you to SHAME.
3) -----edited to protect the feelings of those we love.
4 ------edited to protect the feelings of those we love.
5) 3 hours at the Head of the Charles. It's a boat race, I don't get it.
6) NOT SEEING the Paul Revere House, the Bunker Hill monument, the Russian district, or the Irish district, or the immigration museum.
7) P. being so busy with work and others. We came to see him, after all, and it felt like we were just a hassle and in the way...and that's no fun at all.

That said, here's the last list of the day:


Things you should do if you ever go to Boston:

1) Don't trust your friends to show you what you really care about. They won't. They'll show you what they care about--which is fine if you have common interests--but if you don't, just by a Charlie Ticket and go and see stuff by yourself. Otherwise you'll end up missing out on the city you wanted to see.
2) Take an umbrella. Even if it doesn't look like rain. Trust me.
3) If you still persist in not taking an umbrella, take extra clothes to change in to when you are soaking wet from the rain that really didn't look like falling.
4) EAT. Where you want, when you want and what you want.
5) Know what you want to see, ride the T to that place and then walk--don't meander from Davis Square to Boston Commons. You'll be tired and grumpy and there won't really be any time to see what you wanted to see to begin with.
6) Pay for your own space, you'll sleep better if you can walk around naked for a bit.
7) Know how YOU travel. And don't mix vacation/pleasure/FUN with Friends or Family. It doesn't mean you love them any less, you do, it's just so much more efficient and you won't feel guilty for leaving them behind or resenting them in the morning.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 22, 2007 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous Whimsy said...

I just emailed you my Vacation Theory. But still: I'm sorry that P was sort of a dork in the whole people-visiting-let's-be-a-good-host arena. HE MUST BE SCHOOLED!

I'm glad you're back. Come visit ME and I promise to be a wonderful hostess. I'll even let you decide when & where we eat!

 
At October 23, 2007 at 9:16 AM , Anonymous Tess said...

Sigh. Boston is awesome, isn't it. Also, you forgot to mention all of the FOOD you ate. This is key.

Also, the honking. Oh lord. I get the nervous tummy just thinking about it.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Jenn said...

Boston. One of the best places I've ever visited, hands down.

And it had nothing to do with all of the quaint little bars, so nicely located next to each other, I swear.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home