10 August 2007

No Life Without Wife

So. Yep. I'm admitting it. I am one of "those" women who love Jane Austen. In an academic sense. I also quite enjoy her books. She says all of those zinger comments that most of us are thinking but which we rarely have the courage and carelessness to utter. I am also one of those women who love the films based on the books.

On that note. I recently picked up a copy of Bride and Prejudice. I had netflixed it because it was one of those sensitive "could very easily and very badly go wrong" kinds of situations...you know...Bollywood and Jane Austen, doesn't seem very complimentary. Oh how wrong I was. The film is not only adorably kitschy...it is also bright, colorful, and it has a good beat and you can dance to it. There is one song in particular (for which this entry is named) that has been running on a continuous loop in my head for a week!

The song is this bizarre mix of the "Lizzie" character describing her ideal man (smart, romantic, strong, knows how to cook and clean up after himself etc. etc.) and putting down the "Collins" figure who is the extremely funny Mr. Koli. It's a riot of cheesy good fun and dorky dance moves--and yes, I do some of them in my living room with the blinds closed while watching the film (I know! I have a problem! I have put it on the shelf! I haven't watched it for a whole week!)

It gets worse. The Husband bought a laptop for school purposes. Which means that I have hijacked it for myyyyy purposes. On the drive to Savannah I kept threatening the Husband with the entire movie. And the singing along. In the car! YAY for confined spaces! Needless to say, the threat was in vain, for Lo. He did SING all of the songs. Well, the words that he could remember and then some gibberish for the Punjabi that neither of us speak. Off key. Loudly. It was very very funny. Naturally we kept the windows up and spared the other motor vehicle populace.

Maybe the next time people ask us how we have such a happy marriage, I'll just tell them: Bollywood. We sing and dance together. Really really cheesy love songs. It keeps the magic alive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home